Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Waiting for C.C....

Remember, I'm an Indians fan.  I grew up hating the Yankees.  That's just the way we were taught.  My brother and I would lie in bed at night listening to Pete Franklin stirring up the masses about the up-coming Yankees games.  Somewhere along the way, Mr Franklin came up with the "I hate the Yankee hankee".  Thousands (perhaps) of Indians fans waved them when the Yankees next came into town.

Having said that, I have softened in my old age.  Though still not a Yankee's fan, I do find myself intrigued by teams that become such public icons, teams whose ownership are dead-set against being losers (like the Indians sort of in the 90's, for example... humor me). 

Also, as an Indians fan, I cheer for former Indians--those who are traded away because the Indians are too cheap to keep the good ones (although they are more than willing to pay for the Wayne Garlands and Useless Hafner's of the world).  So, I watch as our favorite catcher plays for the Red Sox, two former Cy Young winners pitch for the Brewers / Yankees and Phillies / Mariners / Rangers. 

At the moment, I'm hoping that C.C. gets his 20th win, and then some.  I know he's a Yankee, but so is Derek Jeter--who is a pretty cool guy; and so is A-Rod, who though a public nuisance, has produced numbers (though somewhat juiced) that keep my attention. 

So, last night C.C. went for his 20th win.  He pitched 8 innings of 2-hit ball, giving up zero runs. 

Should be good for a win, right?

Incorrect. 

I started thinking about the ridiculous line-up that the Yankees have, and did a little research.

From inning one through part of inning 8 the Yankees line-up cost $105,876,000.  No runs.
For part of the eighth inning, their line-up cost $119,476,000.  No runs.
From the middle of the eighth until somewhere in the 10th inning the line-up cost $105,428,500.  No runs.
For a moment in the 10th inning the line-up cost $111,877,500.  No runs.
For the remainder of the game the line-up cost $105,027,500.  No runs.

So, at its peak, the line-up cost $119,476,000.  That doesn't count C.C.'s $24,285,714. 

And this expensive line-up and pitcher were going up against a pitcher who is making a meager $1,834,671.  That pitcher held the tide on that expensive line-up. 

I just found that interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment